Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Held

Start a day with this, "...and in him all things hold together." (Colossians 1:17)

This verse feels like it is both scolding me and embracing me.  "In Christ! all things hold together."
a tight love on his puppy, in a shirt from his daddy's childhood made by his Gran Maddie
I forget, and I get ever-so cranky.
I want to hold it together!  Not really though, I just want to pick a few things out of the human-experience pot that I think seem nice, and then let God give me those things.

A home decorated with all the wonderful trappings that Pinterest has to suggest, a few kids, good health for...well, everyone, and maybe awesome hair even when the humidity is 99%.  (I mean, while I'm picking out of the pot, might as well go big.)

Those things may give me a feeling of happiness or security.
Maybe for a while, a person may help you feel  happy or even secure; but it's only a feeling.  Only Christ, who gave His life as a sacrifice for my sins, can give me Love. Security.  Peace.  Not just the feeling of those things.
Remember Annabelle,"God is Love." (1 John 4:16)
But I don't see Love most of the time.  I see the feeling I experience.  And often, I don't even try to see Him, to see Love.  I just see the debris of humanness, too much or too little or this that and the other.
this creek of adventure and play is our apartment's backyard, amazing!

And I certainly can't hold everything together.  I think we've all tried that, and know it just ends with us tired and sobbing over something ridiculous like the post office being closed, or not having the right ribbon for a package!  Oh no!
And the big stuff.  Our families, death, sickness, financial questions...I don't want to be in control of those and I'm not.
My Savior, my Lord, my God who is Love, is in control; in Him all things were created and are held together!

And I can rest in Him, in Him who Lives in me! and rest in peace.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.  For by him all things were created:  things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.  He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful. Sometimes we all need to be reminded that the One who made us can keep us. I found your blog through the Indie Craft blog. :)

    ReplyDelete