Monday, November 14, 2011

Fame and Glory

So, there is this great site called Sashes to the Merchants, it was started to provide biblical encouragement to women.  It is, as the name implies, based upon the Proverbs 31 woman.  The Proverbs 31 woman by no means has to stay at home or be a blogger or have an etsy shop, but many of us women do.  And, Sashes to the Merchants not only speaks about issues surrounding this woman who may be a wife, a mother, a blogger, an etsy shop owner, a cook, and a decorator; but they also want to specifically help and encourage the business endeavors of women.
All that to say, today's post was on guarding against our selfish desires to be famous (in whatever realm).  And my mind went to C.S. Lewis.  I have been reading and rereading, The Weight of Glory, and just can't get some of the passages out of my mind.
            It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory hereafter;
            it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too deeply about that of his neighbour.
           The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbour's glory should be laid on my back, 
           a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be 
           broken.  it is a serious thing to live in society of possible gods and goddesses, to 
           remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one 
           day be a creature which, if you say it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship,
           or else a horrow and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare.
          All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these
          destinations.  It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe
          and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another,            all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics.  
          There are no ordinary people.  You have never talked to a mere mortal...

I can't have time to build my own fame if my eyes are set on the One who, when we were yet sinners, died for us (Romans 5:6).  My work and my play should pursue Him, the One who can bring glory to the fallen.  Work and play should be about showing His love towards us, not about showing off myself, because His love is too great to be put in a box and saved for Sunday morning; His love is too great and too freeing to be kept walled up in ourselves.  His love took Him to the cross, and it should keep me bowed in humble service, because of the great work He did for someone with nothing to give the Lord of the Universe, serving Him by serving others. 
And for this sweet boy, and this sweet man , the burden is great and it's mighty weight reminds me that only Christ can carry it.  I must have open hands, the cargo is too precious for me to carry.





  







              

No comments:

Post a Comment